Re: F37 proposal: Deprecate openssl1.1 package (System-Wide Change)

On 24. 06. 22 17:39, Simo Sorce wrote:
Not forever, just until Python 2.7 is removed :D

Seriously thou, my proposal is:

   - deprecate it now
   - announce it goes away when RHEL 8 maintenance support ends

Following the guidelines for deprecated packages:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/deprecating-packages/

    # This is when RHEL 8 maintenance support is expected to end
    #https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata
    # The life-cycle time spans and dates are subject to adjustment
    Provides: deprecated() = 20290531

You are going to support OpenSSL 1.1 in RHEL 8 until that day anyway.

This is also when we plan to remove Python 3.6:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/python-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/W74WYEVGYAE57KVLCG73I75LZYKKUMXS/

And if Python 2.7 isn't removed by then, we can rip it out together with
OpenSSL 1.1 in Fedora 50.

Are you going to maintain it till Fedora 50 in the meantime?

That is a very good question. No I won't. I am a member of a Red Hat team that maintains Python in RHEL and Fedora Linux, including a very old legacy Python version without upstream support. I merely expect the same treatment from the OpenSSL maintainers who proposed this change proposal (I assumed they are the RHEL OpenSSL maintainers, correct me if they are not).

I understand that I cannot *make* anybody maintain what they don't want. I am merely suggesting a solution that I consider good for the distro. I believe the RHEL OpenSSL maintainers who already need to maintain 1.1 at least until RHEL 8 goes EOL are much better equipped to maintain it in Fedora than I am.

But as said elsewhere, when it comes to that, we would be either forced to bundle OpenSSL 1.1 (and well, maintain it) or to get rid of Python 2.

--
Miro Hrončok