Re: ansible-core license change and update (Re: `ansible` Package License Change)

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 12:22 AM Maxwell G via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, May 9, 2022 10:20:25 PM CDT Maxwell G via devel wrote:
> > The license of `ansible` 2.9.x has been corrected from `GPLv3+` to `GPLv3+
> > and BSD and Python and MIT and ASL 2.0`. The previous `License:` tag did
> > not properly account for the multi-licensing.
> >
> > Please note that this only applies to EPEL and Fedora 34 and 35. The license
> > of `ansible` 5.x (the collections bundle), which is available on Fedora 36
> > and above, remains the same.
>
> This has now been corrected[1] in Rawhide's ansible-core. To be explicit,
> ansible-core's license has also been corrected from `GPLv3+` to `GPLv3+ and
> BSD and Python and MIT and ASL 2.0`. This will propagate to F35 and F36 when I
> get around to updating them.
>
> This shouldn't have any practical consequences, as the GPL is still the
> primary and most restrictive license.
>
> On a related note, ansible-core 2.13.1 and ansible 6.0.0 were just released
> upstream and have been updated in Rawhide[1]. In Fedora 36, ansible-core and
> ansible will stay on 2.12.x and 5.x.x, respectively. However, I have also made
> a COPR available[2] for F35 and F36 users who want to use the latest versions
> of ansible-core, ansible, and the standalone collections that we have
> packaged.

Whoever is working with that right now is welcome to my notes and
tools, at https://github.com/nkadel/ansiblerepo/ . 2.13.1 broke the
documentation creation tools, and the continuing insistence of
ansible-core on using "#!/usr/bin/env python" instead of
"#!/usr/bin/env python3" causes problems for Fedora unless you add a
"BuildRequires: /usr/bin/python". The "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey"
selection of "/usr/bin/env python" versus "/usr/bin/python" vs.
"/usr/bin/python3 vs. "%{__python3}" vs. "why are we putting a #! line
in this file, it's a module not an executable script and gets
imported, not executed" is... well, it's a source of confusion. Using
'%py3_shebang_fix' would resolve a lot of this in the .spec file, but
my suggestions to apply such changes upstream have not been well
received.

Packaging ansible-core 2.13 for EPEL takes work. It requires python
3.8 or better, which require the commands "dnf modules enable
python38-devel; dnf modules enable python38" to be able to install on
RHEL 8 or 9, and there is a modest raft of missing python modules for
python38. That includes a pretty big tower of dependencies to provide
python38-jinja2 >= 3.0. Check the jinja2 dependency issue I reported
at https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/77620 . The conversation
got very strange, and I was pretty firmly informed that RPM packaging
is not supported by the ansible core developers. pm, only pip
installations. That.... will not work well for koji or mock, and I was
surprised at the insistence, since Red Hat owns ansible.com and sells
Ansible Tower licenses. See the ticket:

     https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/77620

EPEL 8 or EPEL 9 would probably benefit from my list of associated
python38 RPMs to satisfy the other ansible-core requirements, such as
the python38-resolvelib update and python38-pbr. I've tried before to
assemble the credentials and permissions to build EPEL packages
myself, but have been balked so far by the variety of registration
requirements. I'm willing to put those in myself if I can get some
walkthrough help getting the permissions together. Or I'm happy to
work with someone with EPEL and/or Fedora privileges to get these
published, and I'm not insistent on credit. Any takers?

Nico Kadel-Garcia