Re: [RFC] Build tag in RPM: from NVR to NVRB

V Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 12:23:21PM +0200, Fabio Valentini napsal(a):
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM Hunor Csomortáni <csomh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 1:46 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> > <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Official non-scratch builds for non-merged pull requests? Looks very
> > > dangerous.
> >
> > I actually think it's a good idea.
>
> Actually, it's not. There are multiple good technical and legal
> reasons to not do that.

I have probably shocking news for you: Pull requests do not live in a parallel
space. When a pull request is opened, a system copies the commits into the
target repository.  So the repository is already tainted whether you do or
don't do the build. The same feature allows you to retain the sources even
though the forked repository is deleted.

Although the pull-requesting systems usually make the pull request commits
available under handy ref names (e.g. Pagure offers refs/pull/<PR#>/head), the
commits are always reachable with their commit ID. See this GitHub afair when
"Linus deleted a Linux"
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/8bcab0346d4fcf21b97046eb44db8cf37ddd6da0>.

You can try to clone rpms/cvs repository and then do "git fetch origin
b3a9a1f11152fef8dc52080ee85040b9a5cb8630". You will get a commit which has
never been merged into Fedora's dist-git.

I know, dist-git is not only a git. It's also a lookaside cache for sources.
And I can calm the audience: Koji won't built from that commit because it's
not in the list of refs which are fetched by git by default
<https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=88588941>.

-- Petr