Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

* Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:

> I think that this really needs to be benchmarked. Without that the
> discussion will just go on in circles. There are two nice options for
> this: either copr, where you first build the redhat-rpm-config with the
> adjusted options and then rebuild some subset of rawhide to be able
> to do benchmarks, or just the same thing locally on a server with a bunch
> of CPUs. One architecture should be enough.

If that one architecture is x86_64.  Note that x86_64 needs
-mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer, not just -fno-omit-frame-pointer.

i686 will have additional build failures and very different performance
characteristics.  ppc64le already uses a backchain, s390x has a
different backchain convention (and may not be affected by
-fno-omit-frame-pointer).  aarch64 needs -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer as
well.

> Mini-rebuilds like that take a few days, so it's entirely possible to
> do.

I pushed a change to rawhide glibc which makes it inherit the
-fno-omit-frame-pointer and -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer from
redhat-rpm-config.  I think both flags are required if you want to use
the frame pointers for accurate unwinding.

GCC (for libgcc and libstdc++) will need very different changes.  I
don't think it inherits the build flags, either.

Thanks,
Florian