Re: [RFC] Build tag in RPM: from NVR to NVRB

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 01:05:31PM +0200, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> We'd like to introduce Build Number/Tag/Id in the rpm metadata.

I agree with Vitaly: %rpmautospec+%rpmautorelease seem to cover
most of this functionality in a reasonable way. Maybe there are other
motivations / use-cases that weren't discussed that couldn't be solved
by our existing tools, but so far I don't see that.

There were two/three reasons listed:

> By this change we would like to:
> * Provide a possibility to change build environment and rebuild rpm
> packages without changing their content: neither sources nor spec
> files.

Strictly speaking, rpmautospec covers this already.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 01:45:39PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 20/06/2022 10:47, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > I think Aleksandra wants to (non-scratch) build all pull requestes before
> > merging.
>
> Official non-scratch builds for non-merged pull requests? Looks very
> dangerous.

Yeah. I think we should think about scratch and non-scratch builds
separately. For scratch builds, e.g. in a pull request, it's just fine
to do repeated builds with the same NEVR. For non-scratch builds, the
fact that you cannot do that is a feature.

> * Set a common standard for the RPM-based ecosystem, which can be used
> not just within Fedora, but also by Remixes, downstreams, SIGs and
> other distributions.

So far downstreams and other distros used a different dist tag. I think
this is reasonable. And if they're doing other modifications apart
from a rebuild, an %autochangelog entry generated from a dist-git commit
seems better than a yet-another mechanism to provide information about
the rebuild. In particular, a build-counter doesn't see to be good fit
for this, since we'd want to distinguish different vendors that do
the build, and with a counter we can't do that and in fact risk confusion
if multiple downstreams do builds with the same number.

> The most visible impact of the proposal would be the filename change:
>
>   Current: dnf-4.9.0-12.fc36.noarch.rpm
>   Proposed: dnf-4.9.0-12.fc36.34897715.noarch.rpm

The history of development of rpm and the ecosystem has shown that
modifications that are visibile at the level of the output binary rpm
have a long implementation tail for the ecosystem. In particular, if
we allow add the build-number information, many many consumers will
need to adjust for this, from trivial things like regexps to match
'%dist.rpm' in the filename to complicated things that extract and
make use of the version field. So if we want to add a new feature
here, a much strong justification why what we have already is not
enough would need to be provided.

Zbyszek