Re: Updated criteria proposal: networking requirements

On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 03:09 +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Using the default network configuration tools for the console and for
> > release-blocking desktops, it must be possible to establish a working
> > connection to common OpenVPN, openconnect-supported and vpnc-supported
> > VPN servers with typical configurations.
>
> Is "common" a rationale or a restriction? I.e., are all VPN types supported
> by OpenConnect automatically "common", or which ones are "common"?

It's a restriction. I'm not sure we would actually want to block the
release on absolutely every possible openconnect VPN configuration. I
admit I'm not an expert on the details, which is why it's worded quite
generally. If someone wants to try and write something more specific,
that'd be great.

> (In particular, I care about ocserv.)

DDG tells me that's an open source server intended to be compatible
with openconnect clients, i.e. an open source alternative to the
proprietary CISCO server. So in the case we had a bug that broke
connections to ocserv servers but not connections to the official Cisco
server, we'd have to try and figure out how widely ocserv is used, I
guess.

> > Footnote titled "Supported servers and configurations": As there are
> > many different VPN server applications and configurations, blocker
> > reviewers must use their best judgment in determining whether
> > violations of this criterion are likely to be encountered commonly
> > enough to block a release, and if so, at which milestone. As a general
> > principle, the more people are likely to use affected servers and the
> > less complicated the configuration required to hit the bug, the more
> > likely it is to be a blocker.
>
> So it is a case by case decision by the reviewer? Then why bother having
> written criteria at all?

To at least clearly establish that bugs in this area *can* be blockers.
Without this addition, on a strict reading of the criteria you have to
be fairly creative to interpret them as allowing *any* kind of bug in
VPN support to be release-blocking. And they really don't say anything
specific about networking at all. In the past we've accepted complete
networking fails as violations of things like the "browser must work"
or "updates must work" criteria, but that feels quite a lot like a
hack, and it's harder to keep a straight face when applying a hack like
that to a bug which isn't as bad as "networking is completely busted
for a lot of people".

As the guy who writes most of the criteria, what I'd really like to
have is completely objective rules that remove the need for any kind of
subjective evaluation. But experience suggests this is really hard to
do without painting yourself into all sorts of weird corners. It's very
hard (for me, anyway) to imagine every possible proposed blocker
related to VPN or network functionality in general and, ahead of time,
write rules that decide which ones are and are not blockers. But
there's clearly a feeling that, in general, we should not be shipping
Fedora with major bugs in VPN support. So, this is my best effort.

As I wrote above, if you or anyone else can draft some sufficiently
detailed and comprehensive rules for this area which remove or reduce
the need for subjective case-by-case evaluations, that'd be fantastic
and I'd be all in favour. But this was as specific as I could get
myself. It seems like in some areas we just have to go with this
"criterion establishes broad principles / specific issues are evaluated
case-by-case" approach.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA