Re: Fedora Copr - EPEL-9 buildroot

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 4:18 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM David Sommerseth <dazo(a)eurephia.org&gt; wrote:
> >
> > I'm surprised that the EPEL 9 chroots haven't switched to RHEL 9 yet.
> > We've had RHEL 9 + EPEL 9 configs for almost a month now...
> >
> > Pavel, do you know when they're going to be deployed to COPR?
>
> Also, there seems to be a general problem (or caveat) here: Apparantly, COPR uses Centos Stream X + EPEL X in the build root for EPEL X until RHEL X is released. If it switches to RHEL X + EPEL X at that point then some packages are moving "back", aren't they? IAW: What is the branch point for RHEL X(.0) off Stream X? That seems to be the point from which the EPEL 9 copr should follow RHEL X.${released} instead of Stream X (which prepares for X.$(( ${released} + 1 ))).

Welcome to "CentOS Stream". The phase lag from Fedora to RHEL has been
tough enough, dealing with this sort of issue just makes it worse.

It's difficult to avoid this kind of incompatibility, and it's a
deliberate choice to destabilize CentOS and to reverse the RHEL/CentOS
stability relationship, deliberately compounded by discarding point
releases. It used to be possible to work builds from the point
releases. It's pretty clear that Red Hat uses some kind of point
release system internally, because when the "redhat-release" package
and the number listed in /etc/redhat-release and /etc/os-release gets
incremented, there is a flood of hundreds of new packages gets
released on the same day. I'm assuming that Red Hat uses the previous
point release and uses the "stream
" repos only when compelled, to avoid just such incompatible upgrades
breaking their build environments.

The CentOS machines could build from a local, stable snapshot of
CentOS, rather than using the current pieces. It's re-inventing the
wheel, re-inventing local point releases, and it's a pain to maintain.
But it's what some CentOS users feel compelled to do to avoid being
unannounced beta testers of new releases without warning. Or they're
switching to AlmaLinux, or Rocky Linux. Burning down both point
releases and reversing the update relationshp both so close together
has led to many companies expressing concern about RHEL and CentOS,
and disarding them in favor of Ubuntu.