Re: Intent to retire containerd in EPEL 7 and co-maintainer request

Maxwell G via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been de-facto maintaining containerd in Fedora as a member of the go-
> sig for a little while now, as the previous maintainer no longer has time to
> do. In addition to the Fedora branches, this package also exists on EPEL 7.
> That branch has not been maintained for a while and has unpatched CVEs. I am
> not interested in maintaining it myself, so unless someone steps up to
> maintain it and fix the vulnerabilities, I will retire the package from EPEL 7
> in a week from today, on June 15th.

Specifically on this, I'd love to say that someone at Amazon could help
here, especially considering we're not too distant from CentOS 7 for a
bunch of Amazon Linux 2. Unfortunately I don't think we can given the
likely packaging differences, the containerd version differences, and
that we don't have infinite time and given a choice between EPEL7 work
and jumping into modern Fedora packaging to enhance both Fedora and our
Amazon Linux 2022 efforts, I'd pick the latter.

> Additionally, I would appreciate co-maintainers to help with the Fedora
> branches of containerd, its unbundled go dependencies, and moby-engine
> (bundled go package). Long term, I'm not sure I'll have the time or the
> interest to maintain these packages. Note that on EPEL 7, containerd bundles
> its dependencies; moby-engine is not packaged there.

This is 100% somewhere that Amazon Linux can step in and help with. We
have a continued interest in the containerd ecosystem working in Fedora
like distros (namely Amazon Linux), and the bundled/not-bundled split
existing in some working bconds is certainly in our interest (we're
likely to continue to bundle dependencies for the forseeable future).

I'm going to go chat to some of the people internally who'd be doing the
bulk of the work I'm just signing them up for, but would love to sync up
on what our respective pain points are at some point soon.