Re: F37 proposal: Install Using GPT on x86_64 BIOS by Default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 12:19 AM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Am 02.06.2022 um 22:42 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > It's not standard at all. We don't even test for this setup regularly.
> > It's not a test case, and it's not even supposed to work right now.
>
> It’s standard as it is a typical use case in private or SME environments.

It's not *that* typical in my experience. Most of the SME server
environments I know of don't have that. It's more common in larger
server environments, but they also typically use hardware RAID there
instead of software RAID.

If we care about this behavior, we should have a test case to verify
this behavior for all three Anaconda install modes (MBR+BIOS,
GPT+BIOS, UEFI). If this is truly something we care about, then we
should have communicated this need to the Anaconda team so that they
would care about it, independent of this feature.

> And do you really think we distribute dmraid for years now "and it's not even supposed to work right now.“?

dmraid has been unmaintained for over 15 years, so yes I do. It was
dropped from RHEL 8 as well. It only exists in Fedora because someone
decided to not retire the package, but upstream has been dead since
the early 2000s.

> And don't hide behind formalistic arguments that just suit you by chance. Your change proposal deliberately makes it impossible for existing server users (or makes it unnecessarily overly difficult) who have relied (and could rely) on us so far to continue using Fedora Server. I consider this irresponsible. And I don't understand why you stubbornly insist on this change proposal as is, instead of looking for solutions that keep mischief away from our users and change to GPT as default (which is undoubtedly the future standard).

Outside of having Anaconda create BIOS boot partitions and install the
bootloader on every disk, there's no solution for this problem. Also,
calling it "mischief" is disingenuous, since until this week, nobody
ever mentioned this case at all. We even discussed the GPT thing
before I proposed the Change and it did not come up.

> > Also, any system with drives >=2TB will get GPT automatically, you
> > can't have MBR in those setups. All this does is remove the default
> > special case for smaller disks.
>
> This is a completely different case. For disks > 2 TB simply nothing changes, neither better nor worse. For disks < 2 TB your change proposal results in a deterioration. Why do you want it so badly?

You know why I want this Change, and I even wrote it into the
proposal. We have to do *something* to start preparing new installs
for a world when legacy BIOS is *gone*, and switching to GPT is a
simple first step to doing that.