Re: F37 proposal: Install Using GPT on x86_64 BIOS by Default (System-Wide Change proposal)

Chris Murphy wrote:
> What's the basis for holding up this feature though? Yes it's a bug,

Making the setup with the bug the default turns the longstanding bug into a
regression (for the default setup) though.

There also seems to be no reasonable workaround, or is there a checkbox or
dropdown somewhere in Anaconda to force using MBR instead of GPT?

> but it wouldn't be a release blocking bug

That only makes the issue worse. If the bug were release-blocking, the
feature could be pushed forward under the (implied by default) condition
that the release-blocking bug be addressed before the release goes out, or
otherwise the change rolled back as per the contingency plan.

> because there's no release criteria covering degraded boot.

If the release criteria do not cover "a common use" (according to Peter
Boy), then that is an issue in the release criteria and needs to be
addressed there, i.e., a suitable criterion added.

> but I don't think it's OK to hold up a release indefinitely while
> insisting other people do the work required to bring such functionality to
> Fedora.

The whole point of pushing the feature to a later release is to not hold up
the entire release because of it.

        Kevin Kofler