Re: libsoup 2 -> 3 migration plan and timeline (action required if you depend on libsoup)

On Thu, 2022-05-26 at 14:37 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Still, hopefully we can manage this transition without applications
> winding up broken in stable Fedoras.

	Hi,
for what it's worth, I have a COPR repo for Fedora 36, which includes
several packages to use/build with/... libsoup3:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mcrha/evo-soup3/
It replaces core packages (which might get obsolete by regular f36
updates eventually) as much that it includes also gnome-shell and
others. The libsoup3 version there uses branch:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/-/merge_requests/283
which is important for the evolution-data-server and the other
evolution packages (to be tested in action soon).

Other packages have included (or enabled) their changes from a porting
tracker bug on the libsoup side:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/-/issues/218

I did not cover all the packages from the default Workstation install,
I skipped gnome-boxes (Vala, huh), gnome-photos and gnome-maps. With
these removed one can replace the GNOME to the libsoup3 version.

The grilo-plugins package is just hacked to remove the libsoup parts,
because it doesn't have any proposed porting patch. There might be more
hacks in the packages, I do not recall what I tweaked where precisely.

That being said, if anyone wants to do any early testing of their
project(s), then this can be a good starting point. I can add more
packages, if anyone throws a source rpm at me (not by mail, just a link
to it).
	Bye,
	Milan