Re: grub2 BIOS booting iso and code

Hi,

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> I'm afraid that this is the case.

What a naughty machine. :))

I'll think about making a BIOS-only GRUB ISO, just for testing.
(Am busy with finding out how to merge the two Debian DLBD ISOs to a
single bootable all-in-one ISO with 78 GiB, 58,000 packages and official
attire.)

Some info about peculiar BIOS machines:

In the course of lengthy
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/1922342
we found machines which would probably boot fine with the current
candidate for a new Fedora ISO but show a delay of ~ 6 minutes with the
current Ubuntu ISOs.
Obviously their firmwares don't play well with GRUB when the dummy MBR
partition with the boot flag is present:
- tablet computer "motion computing j3400".
- mainboard Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3
- possibly mainboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
  (It is slow on booting, but we got no confirmation that removing the
  dummy MBR partiton would make it faster)
All are about 10 years old.

On the other hand we re-confirmed that not only some laptops but also the
following stationary machines do not boot at all from USB stick if no
MBR boot flag is present:
- HP Compaq dc7700
- HP Compaq dc7900
(again about 10 years old).
So these machines will most probably not boot with the current candidate
for a new Fedora ISO.

It might be helpful to publish a shell script as workaround for the HPs,
which puts the dummy MBR partition entry into the new Fedora ISO.
>From Ubuntu's
  https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/tree/scripts/casper-helpers#n313
by Steve Langasek:

  # detection of dash vs busybox/bash
  if [ "$(echo -e foo)" = "-e foo" ]; then
      escape_arg=""
  else
      escape_arg=-e
  fi
  echo $escape_arg -n '\0200\00\01\00\00\00\01\00\00\00\00\00\01\00\00\00' \
  | dd of=$DEVICE bs=1 seek=462 conv=notrunc count=16

(This is done after fdisk added a GPT partition for persistent data and
made the MBR partition table specs compliant, like in the new Fedora ISO.
$DEVICE is the USB stick from which the ISO booted. I would propose the
affected Fedora users to do this with the ISO image before putting it on
the USB stick. Maybe it has to be repeated on the stick after the first
boot if the software in the ISO creates a new GPT partition, too.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas