Re: Debuginfo on F36

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 9:41 PM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just updated my home machine to F36.  Now, when I try to debug a
> Fedora-built package after installing the appropriate debuginfo
> packages with dnf, I get:
>
> (No debugging symbols found in .gnu_debugdata for [path to ELF object])
>
> for every library.  Is debuginfod the only supported way to get usable
> debuginfo now?  I thought it was an optional convenience feature.  I
> would rather manage the debuginfo with dnf.

Some experimentation shows that there is some magic threshold at play
here.  After I installed debuginfo for a bunch of libraries I am *not*
interested in, GDB started loading debuginfo for the one of interest.
So is there some kind of dependency between debuginfo packages that
must be satisfied before the debuginfo can be used?  I never
encountered this on F35, so I'm not sure what the rules are now.

> GDB no longer lists the libraries for which it does not have
> debuginfo, either.  Is that expected?

That also became untrue at the same time.  On F35, when I wanted to
look into the interaction between an application and a library it was
linked with, I could install debuginfo for just the application and
the one library.  That no longer seems to be the case.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/