Re: How much free space in /var is required for upgrades?

On 5/16/22 18:55, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 2:55 PM Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 5/16/22 12:10, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 3:20 PM przemek klosowski via devel

>>> Yeah I'm not sure it's currently possible to do an atomic update with
>>> dnf or rpm, hence rpm-ostree. Or txnupd and btrfs snapshots
>>> (essentially dnf and rpm keep doing what they're doing, but create a
>>> snapshot of the running system, and update the snapshot out of band,
>>> rather than stomping on the currently running OS).
>>
>> Exactly. This is one of the big value propositions of RPM-OSTree. Silverblue
>> (desktop), Fedora CoreOS (Server), or Fedora IoT (Edge/IoT) are options here.
>> If your "update" runs out of space for whatever reason then the upgrade is stopped
>> and you won't be in a half upgraded state.
>>
>> As Chris mentioned there are also things like BTRFS snapshots or LVM snapshots,
>> etc. that can help you go back in time.
>>
>> Dusty
>
> If you have the spare time and disk to set up that sort of thing, you
> have too much time on your hands and should focus on something useful
> to more people, including yourself. It can be fun to outsmart yourself
> with resource allocation, it's usually a form of "premature
> optimization" that puts your systems at risk when you guess wrong. And
> you *will* guess wrong at least once per project. From Donald Knuth:
>
>      “The real problem is that programmers have spent far too much
> time worrying about efficiency in the wrong places and at the wrong
> times; premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least
> most of it) in programming.”

You lost me.

Fedora {CoreOS,Silverblue,IoT} are readily available solutions to this problem
that many users of Fedora consume today.

I suspect you are probably talking about my reference to BTRFS and LVM snapshots.
They are legit options and they aren't that hard to set up, but they probably aren't
for more novice users without being integrated into the install experience.

Dusty