Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

>  > I would rather have our shared maintenance and evolution of font stuff be reused in Java too...
>
> This is holy grail we have been pursuing for last 10 years.  But now we gave up. To keep java alive in Fedora, we have to take this one step back.

Why did you give up?

>  > This case appears different in that Fedora is still building the binaries in one release stream,
>
> Right. Thanx for describing it.
>  > certification; form same email as abvoe two huks, from  Daniel P. Berrangé.
>  > + Why do we need such certification? Fedora is a separate distribution, not related to Oracle at all.
>
> To call build of OpenJDK java, each binary ahve to pas TCK(as mentioned in thread).

At one point AdoptOpenJDK distributed binaries that were not tested
against the TCK (https://dzone.com/articles/an-overview-on-jdk-vendors).
>  > Is there an actual contractual requirement for Fedora to distribute OpenJDK builds only after they have passed the TCK?  That's just impossible with the Fedora build system, and we would have to remove OpenJDK from Fedora to comply.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Why would we need to remove OpenJDK from fedora to comply? The only issue I see is the Rawhide. But considering it is not officially released.. It should be ok.
> Each build we pass to updates, we are bound to prove it passes TCK. As we control environment, we are usually able to do so.
> Runing them is mandatory. The results reporting is on demand.  The simple rename is not so easy. I "m afraid that striping all "java" from bnaries and thus from sources is maybe possbel to be done, but  human impossible to maintian, and
> will leave JDK mostly not working, and for sure useless and incomaptible with other javas.

Why is running the TCK such a burden?  Is it due to hardware
resource limitations?  Do we really need to claim that
we are Java SE compatible?

> One of the side steps of this proposal is to be more compatible with other javas.
>

>  > If current maintainers can't continue maintaining the well-packaged OpenJDK, I think it's time to retire it. It would be better
> Yes, we can no longer maintian it. And I must contradict you - Seeing all the dependencies, we really need them all. Loosing any  one, wiould kill java ecosystemin Fedora.

Is this purely because of the TCK requirement?  If so, I would prefer
that Fedora ship an uncertified binary, or ship both a certified
static binary and an uncertified dynamic binary, with the latter
being the default.

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)