Re: Packit automates Koji Builds and Bodhi updates

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 4:12 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is the case for any rebuilds that happen in side tags. Most recently e.g.
> the boost rebuilds. Sometimes, maintainers do that for their own packages as
> well, but provenpackagers do that at larger scale. For Python packages, that'll
> be Python rebuilds, but for other packages it might be any other targeted rebuild.
>
> > I am thinking about multiple options here:
> >
> > 1) configurable allow-list / block list for committers (for the user and/or for
> > the whole service)
> > * For our projects, we would allow just the `packit` user that we use for
> > submitting the dist-git pull requests.
> > * We could probably react to just `packit` commits for all the users but I
> > don't like this all-or-nothing approach. (That people are required to use all
> > the Packit's features or none.)
>
> So when the maintainer merges a packit PR, it would trigger the build but not
> otherwise?

It can be done like this. Either as a default for the service or be
able to configure it to work like this.

> Wouldn't it be more transparent if the maintainer types a packit command to the
> PR to merge+build+bodhi it when the CI passes? I even think I could use this
> (if it does not require a config config file in upstream). The command could
> even allow passing some options in the future (for setting unusual karma
> limits, etc.)

* We don't require upstream config at all for downstream jobs. (We
load the config from the respective dist-git commit.
* I am not sure if this should be the only way how to start the builds
but doable from our side.

> > We can probably think about this more, but the second option looks the best for
> > me so far. Automation is not reduced and work for proven packagers is
> > untouched. What do you think? Would this work for you? Or, do you have any
> > better idea/solution?
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this feature was built with
> limited knowledge of how *other people* use dist-git. In my view, this cannot
> be fully automated for pushes. IMHO the action *must* be triggered by the
> maintainer unless everybody is fully aware that pushes may trigger builds
> depending on some externalities, which is unlikely to happen.

We know that there are a lot of approaches around so we have chosen
the following way:
1) Require explicit opt-in in the config in dist-git.
2) Implement the basic version.
3) Gather some feedback and improve/extend. (We are here.)
4) if needed/wanted, we can provide another way of turning this on.

With the first point (explicit opt-in), people can decide if the
current state works for them or not. There are already people happy
with the basic version and since we have all the
plumbing/messaging/... already done, we can now easily make it more
complex.

> Here is a list of mentioned solutions sorted from the less-fragile to the most
> (IMHO).
>
>   1. Automation only happens when maintainer explicitly starts it
>   2. Automation only happens when a packit PR was merged*
>   3. Automation only happens for non-provenpackagers
>   4. Automation happens on every push (current way)
>
> * this could be documented in the PR initial comment

Thanks for the points, I've created an upstream issue on our issue
tracker for that: https://github.com/packit/packit-service/issues/1490

František