Re: F37 Proposal: Strong crypto settings: phase 3, forewarning 1/2 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Hi David,

David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2022-04-29 at 17:49 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
>> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
>> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
>> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/StrongCryptoSettings3Forewarning1
>>

>> == Summary ==
>>
>> Cryptographic policies will be tightened in Fedora 38-39,
>> SHA-1 signatures will no longer be trusted by default.
>> Fedora 37 specifically doesn't come with any change of defaults,
>> and this Fedora Change is an advance warning filed for extra visibility.
>> Test your setup with FUTURE today and file bugs so you won't get bit
>> by Fedora 38-39.
>>

> Changes like this have been very disruptive in the past because they
> haven't been completely thought through.
>
> Can we please make 100% sure these policies are not going to break
> things like VPN clients in the way that we have before.

They are going to break things, but Ubuntu 22.04 deprecated SHA1
signatures already, so it's very likely that a good chunk of the fallout
will be cleared by the time Fedora 38 and 39 ship.

Cheers,

Dan