Re: grub2 BIOS booting iso and code

Hi,

Brian C. Lane wrote:
> If this fixes the boot issues with the XPS 15 then it's probably worth
> using this instead of the 'clean' GPT method and then revisit later once
> BIOS support finally goes away.

(Now i am not sure whether i shall hope for a significant test result.)

It should be noted that Ubuntu publishes 'nearly clean' GPT with boot
flag MBR partition since a year. 22.04 is out and still bears this layout.
So there are not many machines around which suffer from the yet unknown
particular demand of the Dell XPS 15 L502X.

I am still pondering what to try next when the experiment results are in.

If test_oldlayout.iso boots, then the next step would possibly to deface
the GPT of boot-grub2-f36.iso by changing the type of MBR partition 1 from
0xEE to 0x83 or 0x00. If that does not boot, then i would ask for setting
the boot flag of partition 1.
(These are not proposed solutions. The experiments shall just tell what
exactly the BIOS expects and does not get from boot-grub2-f36.iso.)

If test_oldlayout.iso does not boot, then i am quite clueless.
I doubt that the heavily illegal GPT partition for the overall ISO in
the old Fedora ISOs does the trick.
I also doubt that the presence of the macboot.img is significant for a
legacyBIOS. It is mentioned with type 0x00 in the MBR partition table
and as "Apple UFS" in GPT.

So only success with test_oldlayout.iso will bring more insight.
But that might also perpetuate the really undesirable test_oldlayout.iso.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas