Re: Modello update in rawhide

Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> Do you have any evidence for this claim that the update will break any
> package? If so, please share it.

You wrote yourself: "The new major version introduces API break and packages
may need to be ported to work with the new version." So it has to be assumed
that dependent packages can, and most likely will, break. At the very least
they will need to be rebuilt against the new soname (unless the API change
does not go with an soname bump, which would be a violation of Fedora
policies, too).

> 1. There is no evidence that the update is going to break anything.

See above.

> 2. The link refers to "Later Branched and stable releases" section,
> while I'm preparing update only for rawhide.
> 3. This section of update guide does not even mention side tags.
> 4. This is not a policy, but just a guide, an outdated one. Updates
> policy does not require maintainers to use side tags in this case.

The Updates Policy is not relevant for Rawhide. What is relevant is that
Rawhide rules have become much stricter than in the past and that it is no
longer allowed to just break Rawhide. I am not a fan of the new rules either
(and I have speaken out against them more than once), but they are there,
and infrastructure has been depending on them for months already (e.g.,
these days, if there is a broken dependency in any release-critical
deliverable, the whole Rawhide compose fails and everything stands still,
nothing gets delivered to mirrors at all until it is fixed, which in turn
prevents third-party repositories from rebuilding their packages against
both your and other simultaneous Rawhide changes). So if you are unhappy
about the rules, please help getting them changed, but do not just ignore
them.

        Kevin Kofler