Re: F38 Change: Major upgrade of Microdnf (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 7:19 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> - dnf-daemon would be dbus-activated and exit-on-idle after a suitable
> timeout

This is how rpm-ostree has worked for about 5 years now: https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/pull/606

(Lots of useful references in that thread - doing exit-on-idle in a *race free* way with DBus is unfortunately very tricky.  I am still thinking about switching the default client mode to direct systemd socket activation.  As of recently, the client also directly invokes `systemctl start` (if privileged))

The problem isn't really inherent to a daemon, the problem is the *gigantic* size of the repodata.

Also on the background in my todo list is to move all the RPM stuff into a forked subprocess from the daemon that itself is only run on demand - that would mean an idle daemon still has low memory usage.

I haven't dug into the libdnf5 code, but today it actually embeds the daemon code in the libdnf repository - I hope we can compile that out or split it out, because rpm-ostree already has an working DBus API.  Maybe in some cases we can try to expose some of the same API entrypoints, but on the other hand the entire rpm-ostree design is oriented by default around offline-by-default transactional updates, which is going to look quite different from an API perspective.