Re: F38 Change: Major upgrade of Microdnf (Self-Contained Change proposal)

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/MajorUpgradeOfMicrodnf

Overall, the new architecture is a huge improvement and should fix many
of the long-standing issues.

Would it be possible to extend the How To Test section with installation
and commandline-use instructions? Is the stuff planned in the copr repo already
usable for early adopters?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 01:34:10PM +0200, Jaroslav Mracek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What precisely will be using the MICRODNF/libdnf5 in F38.
> The new Microdnf will use a new library `libdnf5` that will be parallel
> installable with `dnf` and `libdnf`
>
> > Will the DNF db be migrated?
> Right now I do not have the answer for that.

It would be nice to have *some* migration plan, even if the details
are left unspecified for now.

Obviously the best answer would be if the dnf history db is migrated.
But if it is only partially migrated, this would be acceptable too.
I.e. we could have a "flag day" where the user install dnf5 and uninstalls
dnf4 and this step is irrersible, and dnf5 cannot undo or report on
previous dnf transactions. The most important part seems to be the
coloring of packages for installation reason, and this should be migrateable.
If not, I think we should discuss what can be done.

> > When
> > the DNF will be dropped or the switch from DNF to MICRODNF will happen?
> I am going to create a System Wide Change for Fedora 39 to replace DNF with
> the new Microdnf.

Looking forward to that ;)

Zbyszek