Hardware without AES-NI: use xchacha12/Adiantum instead of AES-XTS

Good everning,

I just experienced that, when setting up a new Fedora, Anaconda (both "Custom" and "Advanced Custom (Blivet-GUI)") always uses aes-xts-plain64 for disk encryption, even if the hardware does not support AES-NI.

Does it make sense to use xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64 by default if there is no AES-NI in the hardware?

For a general use case, the security advantages of Adiantum can be neglected; both aes-xts & chacha-adiantum are secure.

But there are big performance disadvantages of AES when there is no AES-NI (this was the major reason for merging Adiantum into the kernel).

Besides the use of system resources, netbooks and such may have strongly decreased battery life times with aes-xts (the issue is primarily aes, not xts).

I tested with Fedora 35, KDE spin; but as the issue is Anaconda-centric, I expect that other Workstation installations tend to the same behavior.

Adjustments would be limited to Anaconda.

Regards & stay safe,
Chris