Re: gcc + llvm + annobin mess in f36-updates-testing

On Thu, Apr 14 2022 at 03:02:16 AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given that this is not the first time that we have annobin-induced breakage
endangering a release,

Thing is, Kevin has a point here. I've lost track of the number of times annobin troubles have resulted in gratuitous toolchain breakage. Sure seems like this happens more than it should.

It probably is time to consider special rules for this package. Perhaps annobin should not be updated unless both GCC and LLVM are also updated in the same bodhi update? Or, if this is difficult for some reason, maybe annobin should only be updated in rawhide and not in branched releases? Just brainstorming....

I really have to wonder why we insist on shipping
this debugging tool by default for production builds. I understand that the security team wants to analyze the annotations to, e.g., detect packages built with insecure flags, but I do not see why that analysis needs to be done on the official binary packages, i.e., why the packages cannot just (for that analysis) be rebuilt with annobin enabled on a private system that does not expose the entire community to the fragility of annobin (and the
increased package sizes due to the annotations).

Rebuilding packages makes it much less useful and increases delta between Fedora and RHEL. Minimally-increased package size is a silly concern. The problem here is just broken updates.

Michael