Re: RFI/RFC: Fedora Linux graphical recovery environment

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 6:35 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
> > I am not sure about having a full graphics environment, but it would be
> > nice to have the functionality of the server installers rescue mode,
> > where the system try to create a system tree at /mnt/sysimage IIRC and
> > allows you to run `chroot /mnt/sysimage` to enter it.
>
> I think more useful than a dedicated GUI rescue environment would be a
> "Rescue" button (desktop icon or whatever is used for "Install to Hard Disk"
> on the desktop environment on the image) on every GUI live image (e.g., on
> the KDE Live) that does the above (within the live image's GUI, not as a
> separate boot option).
>
> I have (ab)used a standard GUI live image as a rescue image more often than
> I have actually used the text-based rescue images, and getting the system
> mounted was always the most painful part of it. Which is particularly sad
> considering that the logic to auto-detect and mount the installed system
> exists, but only on the rescue image.

I don't know why anaconda can't run the rescue mode when launched from
a Live OS environment.

There are some ideas to make install media with separate Live OS and
Install boot menu entries. There'd be a Live OS to use Fedora in a
volatile environment (perhaps one day make persistence an option out
of the box). But you'd reboot and choose a separate installation
option that would be a non-Live desktop, or kiosk mode, environment
for the installer to run in dedicated fashion. In this case the
installer's rescue option could be used, and run through the discovery
logic to assemble the installed system.

--
Chris Murphy