Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 4:36 AM Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > A legacy/fallback image (or two) would provide some breathing room to
> > remove more legacy layers. Including possibly even ISO 9660.
>
> Aww. 14 years of xorriso development would be obsoleted. {:|
>
> Giving up ISO 9660 would mean to give up El Torito, which means to give
> up legacy BIOS booting from CD/DVD/BD.

It's a fair point that this proposal is not considering ISO 9660 a
legacy or deprecated format. That's my editorialization.  But all good
things come to an end? Long live ISO 9660?  :D  Consider millions of
user's lives were made a ton easier because we have had these
remarkably clever universal boot images for so long that can boot
almost anything.

 The legacy/fallback image(s) would definitely include ISO 9660
support, using xorriso essentially as we are now if not exactly as it
is now, and support it as long as it can be supported by the future
Legacy BIOS Booting SIG. It'd be up to the SIG to decide whether ISO
9660 is eventually dropped, if ever.

But as long as the SIG and its work products are being produced
reliably, and at least one image is release blocking - that gives
quite a lot of room to drop ISO 9660 on other images *if* there's a
clear advantage of doing so. That's all I meant to indicate.

> > The one thing I think we'd still need to
> > tweak sooner than later is swapping isolinux with GRUB.
>
> I am optimistic that this will be possible with few new user complaints.

OK super.

> Summary as i understand this part of our discussion:
>
> Fedora just has to decide whether it wants to stay with the layout
> described in
>   https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/11285.html
> or whether it wants to migrate to a specs compliant GPT as i propose in
>   https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/EY4Q5EDHLFW6TBJQTJMJUS6LM6U5ZBFW/
>   Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 00:29:54 +0200
>
> In the latter case the xorrisofs options to change are given in the above
> list post. It would drop support for an obscure class of x86 Macs which
> need HFS+ for booting, and it would drop support for a class of buggy
> legacy BIOSes which don't boot if the boot/active isn't set in any MBR
> partition table slot. (Old HP laptops have been caught with such BIOS.)
>
> In the former case my change proposal is in
>   https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/4DSTL34BTZEINKMA3VSBDTJHYSD7VO3O
>   Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 20:29:07 +0200
> Please read the first part up to "More unsolicited info:" to see all
> proposed options.
>
> I am ready to discuss xorriso-specific problems at bug-xorriso@xxxxxxx
> or in private, if not here. Cc me when starting a discussion here.

OK great thanks for all the input!

--
Chris Murphy