Re: F37 Change: Legacy Xorg Driver Removal (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 10:06 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LegacyXorgDriverRemoval

== Summary ==

This change will remove the `xorg-x11-drv-vesa` and
`xorg-x11-drv-fbdev` driver packages, and associated support code from
the `xorg-x11-server-Xorg` package.

Adam, I'm sure this proposal is related to your comment here:

Thanks for creating it as a Change.

Can you please clarify what happens to the "basic graphics mode" boot options on our install media? As I understand it, it's required to let Fedora boot on systems with unsupported/broken driver graphics. So I assume this basically means a) old hardware which doesn't get much testing and drivers bitrot, b) completely new hardware for which the drivers are not yet ready, and c) nvidia (nouveau has a high failure rate, afaik)? Is this summary correct? How many nvidia users will get affected? What happens in any of those cases, will those users not be able to run a Fedora installer at all? Will they need to run netinst in text mode, or will even text mode be unsupported? What will they do instead?

In my personal experience, I had to use basic graphics mode on one laptop which had an extremely old Radeon driver, and Fedora installer simply didn't boot on it. So the basic graphics mode was a way to at least install the system, and then I could start experimenting with different kernels or trying some advice from the net. But the installation must be done first, in some way.

In a similar fashion, there is sometimes a new GPU launch which is not supported on our latest stable installer (because it has an old kernel/mesa), and installing Rawhide is... hard to recommend, not to mention it's often very broken. So enthusiasts with the latest GPU can install Fedora using basic graphics mode, and then fully update their system and switch to a regular driver. What will they do after this Change?

Thanks.