Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 4:54 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DeprecateLegacyBIOS
>
> == Summary ==
> Make UEFI a hardware requirement for new Fedora installations on
> platforms that support it (x86_64).  Legacy BIOS support is not
> removed, but new non-UEFI installation is not supported on those
> platforms.  This is a first step toward eventually removing legacy
> BIOS support entirely.

I personally find the wording here extremely confusing, to the point
where it might be classified as misleading.
Usually, to "deprecate" something means that users get a grace period
where they will be warned that the thing they're using will go away at
some point in the future, and that it should no longer be used, if
possible.

However, with the current proposal, you're *already removing* the
ability to install Fedora in "non-UEFI mode". There would be zero
grace period in which users would be warned "hey, you're using the
installer for the old method, you might want to do it the new way
instead".

As far as I see, with this proposal, the only "direct" way to get a
F37+ non-UEFI system would be by upgrading from a previous release of
Fedora?
But users who do that would not receive any "hey, you installed your
system in BIOS mode, this might not be supported for much longer, we
recommend reinstalling it in UEFI mode, if possible" warning, either.

I also agree with other FESCo members who have chimed in in this
thread: It seems too early to pull the plug here. If this was a "real"
deprecation, with grace period and scary warning dialogs for users who
still end up booting in BIOS mode, I'd be sympathetic to that. But in
my opinion, this proposal as it is seems too aggressive at this point
in time.

Fabio