Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 9:20 AM Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-04-06 at 21:03 -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:

> > > If Fedora is going to sign it, rather than improving the local signing
> > > experience, absolutely it should be signed with a separate key. The
> > > design should assume a revocation is going to happen at some point.

> > > No way.
> > >
> > > I don't think there's a mechanism for it, but I'd prefer Fedora sign
> > > the 3rd party's key rather than their binary. Maybe it's a small
> > > distinction at the end of the day.
> >

> > We have not set up an infrastructure for it, but in all honesty, there
> > is no technical reason that any 3rd party repository building and
> > packaging the driver could not have done such a thing a couple of
> > years ago.  The mechanism has been there, pesign can sign modules.
> > Now, asking Fedora to trust that key is a different issue, but users
> > have to reboot after installing the nvidia drivers anyway, so clicking
> > to accept the key isn't too much of a hurdle to jump through at that
> > point.
>
> There is potentially an even easier solution.
> Ideally dkms (or whatever) could simply generate a key, sign the module
> and manage to get the public key in the right place so that the module
> can be verified. But this is hard work I guess, and nobody cares about
> Secure Boot enough to do it?

This has been done for a while. However, there are issues.

The lack of ability to manage it in a non-interactive fashion, or even
fully from the desktop UX because of having to deal with firmware key
storage is a huge problem. But even if you get past that, there are
problems where there isn't enough memory on the firmware flash storage
for another key. This is one of the reasons why the SBAT strategy was
devised for Secure Boot: running out of space for certs in firmware is
a very real problem that people want to avoid.

This is why an OS-level keyring for these things is needed: it allows
us to scope it to the operating system (like Windows does), allows
unique keys to be easily managed, and makes it easy to rotate them
without worrying about causing problems.