Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM Gregory Bartholomew
<gregory.lee.bartholomew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 12:39 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Fedora Server users *must* fully reinstall, because there's no way to
>> make space for an ESP and reconfigure things.
>

> I haven't done a "default" Fedora Server installation in a long time, so I'm not sure how they are laid out. But I seem to remember /boot being a separate partition for a long time (it used to be required because some older BOISs couldn't read beyond a certain sector on the disk). Could not /boot be converted to the ESP (i.e. reformatted with FAT32) on such systems?

No. It would need to be reformatted as FAT to be firmware readable.
And thus this is an irreversible modification. There will be lengthy
periods of time that are simply not crash safe. So the risk is
probably unacceptably high that the user ends up abandoned on a
deserted island, in which case it's better to just steer them toward
the well understood and document process of reprovisioning (clean
install time). Yes it's tedious, but it's well understood and very
reliable, and that counts for more than convenience in QA terms.

--
Chris Murphy