Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, 2022-04-05 at 10:52 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DeprecateLegacyBIOS
>
> Important, relevant points from that thread (yes, I reread the entire
> thread) that have informed this change:
>
> * Some machines are BIOS-only.  This change does not prevent their
> use
> yet, but they are effectively deprecated.  grub2 (our default
> bootloader) is already capable of both BIOS and UEFI booting.
> * Drawing a clear year cutoff, let alone a detailed list of hardware
> this change affects, is basically impossible.  This is unfortunate
> but
> unlikely to ever change.
> * There is no migration story from Legacy BIOS to UEFI -
> repartitioning effectively mandates a reinstall.  As a result, we
> don’t drop support for existing Legacy BIOS systems yet, just new
> installations.
> * There is no way to deprecate hardware without causing some amount
> of friction.
> * While at the time AWS did not support UEFI booting, that is no
> longer the case and they support UEFI today.

Even though aws supports UEFI, many vps providers do not(Vultr and
Linode are some examples). But having a soft corner for Systemd-boot
and UEFI in general, I think there could be a middle ground. I believe
most BIOSes can boot GPT formated disk although there are few that can
not and I believe windows never supported this config. But since most
of the remaining consumers which real need this configs are VPSes which
generaly do not dual boot with windows. Also we can drop support for
all bios only bootloader as grub is good enough here.
If there is a way to push these companies to to switch to UEFI based VM
, that should be done. But removing all other bios config except for
bios + grub + gpt could be a fesible starting point.