Re: filesystems and year 2038

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:50 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 9:48 AM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Or, you could ignore it and it will happen anyway:
> > >
> > > xfsprogs-5.15.0-rc1 (11 Mar 2022)
> > > - mkfs: enable inobtcount and bigtime by default (Darrick J. Wong)
> >
> > Ah, thanks for the link.  So...given the ext4 34 bit thing, I think as long as we ship that by default in say F37 we can just mostly call this done.  (I'd still like to enable 256 bit inodes for ext4 /boot type setups just for completeness though)
>
> Yeah, that would certainly be useful...

That list hasn't been edited in 5 years, but 256 bit inodes have been
the ext default for a very long time unless you specifically request
small.  I think the defaults for ext2 and ext3 even changed well over
10 years ago.  The oldest disk I have here already has 256 bit inodes
even for /boot, and I would be shocked and amazed if it lasted until
2038 given it is already 10 years old.

Justin