Re: filesystems and year 2038

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:10 AM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > What about squashfs? We use that for the live media, is that affected?
>
> There's also vfat (for EFI system partition) and ISO9660 (base for all
> media).  How do they handle dates?
> --

FAT filesystems are good for a while longer, though not as long as
most others.  Squashfs and ISO9660 are read only, which makes them
less of an ongoing concern.  The big issue with ext4, xfs, and btrfs
is that those filesystems can live for a very long time. When trying
to figure out an issue with kernel-install recently, I noticed that
the root filesystem on that machine was created 10 years ago, the
motherboard/CPU/RAM  on the system have been replaced twice since
then.  I expect there are plenty of cases with filesystems around much
longer than that. I know xfs does have options to convert an existing
filesystem to bigtime, so it isn't hopeless for long lived
filesystems, but now that bigtime has been out for a while (it was
introduced in 5.10), it is about time that we start using it by
default.  The big concern with doing so from the start was that older
kernels could not mount it, so the wait did make sense.

Justin