Re: [IPP-over-USB printers/scanners] Expected breakage when ipp-usb+a driver are installed

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 9:10 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With ipp-usb, my printer has six options: color, grayscale, deep gray,
> device gray, device RGB, and deep color. I have no idea what the last
> four of these mean. I also don't know whether the grayscale setting
> corresponds to high-quality grayscale or black-only grayscale. Not sure
> how to avoid using color ink when I only need black.

My guess is to think of them this way

1. Internally uses some form of color management (could be ICC or
proprietary or combination). The "deep" version means "more of". So
that'd be more contrast and more color saturation.
color, deep color
grayscale, deep gray

2. These "pass through" the values in the printed file and do not
compensate for the device's behavior at all, so it should be fairly
"raw" output suitable for making ICC profiles. As the device doesn't
really have RGB inks, there's still some (likely proprietary) internal
RGB to CMYK conversion, or however many inks there are, e.g. CcMmYKk
(for dark and light variations of those inks).
device gray, device RGB

I expect "device gray" will get you black ink only output. It's a toss
up whether grayscale and/or deep gray actually use some color inks in
order to produce smoother results, in particular using a balance of
the light inks would produce better gradation.

> So technically this is *more* printing options, but it sure feels like
> less, since I don't see the black-only option there anymore.

Yeah. Jargon.

--
Chris Murphy