Re: Please use side tags for backwards-incompatible bumps of major packages, not buildroot overrides

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) Just to note what I wound up doing here - aside from the special
> polymake case, I found (I hope) all the packages that got built against
> 5.34.1, bumped and rebuilt them against 5.34.0, and edited the
> standalone updates to have the new builds, which will work with both
> 5.34.0 and 5.34.1, so whatever order they get pushed in things should
> be OK.

It's probably time for me to chime in about polymake again.  The
polymake package has relatively few Fedora users, and takes a long
time to build.  Perl, on the other hand, has a large number of users.
I don't think we should hold up perl releases for a polymake build.
It's okay with me to just go ahead and update perl and let polymake be
broken.  I'll notice it is broken and do the necessary builds.  The
few polymake users will be annoyed that they can't update to the
latest perl and will send me nastygrams.  I'll respond with a canned
email I have sitting around because exactly this situation has
happened many times in the past.

Of course, I am also trying to give polymake away, so maybe I should
not put my (purely hypothetical so far) successor on the hook like
that. :-)

The other possibility is that somebody who knows more about perl than
me breaks polymake's hard dependency on the exact version it was built
with.  I think upstream is concerned about that because polymake
inserts its tentacles into all corners of perl's C innards, so even a
small change could require a rebuild.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/