Re: FESCo wants to know what you use i686 packages for

Steven Ellis wrote:
> The issue on our home systems is 3rd party printer drivers.
>
> Eg
> mfc9140cdncupswrapper-1.1.4-0.i386
> dcpj4120dwlpr-3.0.1-1.i386
> dcpj4120dwcupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386
> mfc9140cdnlpr-1.1.2-1.i386
>
> These then pull in a whole load of dependencies relating to CUPs etc.

According to https://openprinting.github.io/printers/ , both those printers
allegedly support driverless printing through the Apple AirPrint standard,
which is supported by current CUPS. This SHOULD include AirPrint over USB,
if the standard is correctly and completely implemented. It may be worth
trying, though it may expose fewer options than using the proprietary CUPS
driver RPM.

I do not know whether these printers would also work with some Free as in
Speech CUPS driver such as generic PostScript, PCL, or ESC/P, or such as the
Gutenprint drivers for older Brother printer models, nor, if they would at
all, whether that would lead to more flexibility than just using AirPrint.

        Kevin Kofler