Re: F37 Change: Curl-minimal as default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 09:52:41AM +0100, Petr Pisar wrote:
> That misses the point that telnet is a protocol which e.g. prescribes how to
> encode an end of line. Specifically this feature mismatches with the shell
> environement we speak about. And because telnet is an underlying layer of
> many protocols like SMTP, or HTTP, your recommendation will break any
> debugging of them.

I know this is into deep old-timey esoterica, but SMTP and HTTP do not use
telnet as an underlying layer. It's actually exactly the opposite — the
telnet protocol does things that aren't what you want at all. It is just
happening to work, because the telnet client in Fedora Linux (and most of
them!) defaults to skipping Telnet protocol negotation — and because you're
not sending anything containing IAC (byte 0xff).

It's _handy_ that the end-of-line characters get converted to crlf, and for
basic diagnostics the IAC problem doesn't come up, but it's still really not
a tool _meant_ for the job.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>