Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 10:40 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(...)

> Oh yes, I simplified the build deps problem too much. Still
> feels like a task that is ripe for machine automation.

Yes. I will provide a script so package maintainers can do:

$ can-i-add-excludearch-i686-to foo

Which will then either say
- "YES, foo is a leaf package", or
- "NO, foo-libs is still Required by X, Y, Z; foo-utils is still
BuildRequired by W".

I noted this in the change proposal, under Scope / Proposal owners.
I have the pieces ready on my local machine, I just need to put them
together and publish the script somewhere.

> As written the proposal is effectively asking every maintainer to
> dep solve the build deps manually in their head to see if their
> pacakge is still needed by something. IMHO that is inevitably going
> to lead to mistakes and puts unnecessary burden on individual
> maintainers.

Where in the proposal did you read that this will be mandatory?
Or will need to be done in everyone's head? I explicitly mentioned a
scripted approach, as noted above.

The whole point of the proposal is to create *less* work for package
maintainers,
so that they can stop building unused i686 support for packages *if it
is causing them problems or they want to*,
without creating useless bureaucracy or maintenance burden for them.

If somebody doesn't care about i686 and their packages build fine on
i686, they will not notice this change at all,
unless they maintain a leaf package that would be impacted by a
potential removal of one of its dependencies.
But in that case, this can be treated like any other breaking change
in a package, with maintainers coordinating.

Fabio