Re: VERY late notification emails

On Sat, Mar 05, 2022 at 10:58:53AM +0000, Dan Čermák wrote:

> On March 5, 2022 9:03:54 AM UTC, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 5:25 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> No, there's things we can do and are trying to do. ;)
> >
> >I seem to remember that one of the issues
> >identified was (for those of us using gmail
> >for the notifications) was that google could
> >end up throttling emails.
> >
> >I have a vague recollection that google has
> >numerous recommendations to mitigate
> >against throttling (including DKIM and SPF),
> >in addition to a method in which one can
> >reduce certain delays for "buik" email
> >and also monitor for issues ((I think via
> >postmaster.google.com?)
> >
> >I am going to presume that these resources
> >have been investigated and you have looked
> >at the google monitoring information.  Can
> >you share why the emails are getting delayed
> >according to Google?

Yes, we do all those things.

Google limits incoming emails to accounts.

Here's the google "workspace" page on it (but I think there's also
possibly lower limits for 'free' accounts:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1366776?hl=en

So basically from time to time people (especially those on scm-commits
mailing list) go over those limits and google just rejects email to them
until it cools down.

There's often also people who go over their google storage quota and it
rejects emails for them until they delete things.

> It's definitely not just Google, I keep getting delayed emails as well and my emails are not hosted by a big provider.

These are two seperate discussions.

FMN is slow/behind, and google sometimes drops/delays/rejects FMN
emails.

I watched it over the weekend, and now it's only 3 days behind. ;(
Hopefully it will finish catching up... I'm continuing to watch it.

We are also close to having the python3 version up in staging.

kevin