Re: VERY late notification emails

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 10:42:38AM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 28. 02. 22 v 18:24 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 07:45:27AM -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > > I almost wrote this a week ago but decided not to as it's been recently
> > > discussed but this is really annoying. 6 days later is more than useless.
> > >
> > > Previously it was blamed, at least partially, on the mass rebuild, but
> > > clearly that should no longer be an issue by now?
> > Well, I noted a number of reasons for it... one of them was that it
> > sometimes crashes, but appears to be processing. This happened a few
> > days ago and it was just restarted this morning. ;(
>

> Is it down again? Or does it trying to catch up? If the status of the queue
> was visible somewhere at least. I am asking, because the latest notification
> I have ATM is from 22nd.

Well, thats not really too helpfull a question. I mean, it might have
been down when you asked, but now I am replying a day later and it's
not, so I have no idea.

I've got a session open to it now and am babysitting it.
(restarting when I see failed services, restarting it if I don't see any
messages for an hour or so, etc).

> > > I know I can turn them off, but I actually LIKE the messages if they were
> > > delivered promptly.
> > >
> > > Is there really nothing we can do about this?
> > No, there's things we can do and are trying to do. ;)
> >
> > But of course more help welcome!
> >
> > We have a python3 port of it nearly ready to go, but I think it's
> > CI/tests are not working, and we want to make sure those all work before
> > we deploy it. I'll see if I can get more exact status...
>

> But what happened that from reliable service is completely unreliable one?
> Up until here:
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10370
>
> It was working mostly OK (although I have reported once incident earlier
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/9932). But since that time it
> is useless:
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10414

I think it's a combination of things:

* it's still querying the old account system, so all the new users who
enable emails from it, get nothing and cause it to generate a bunch of
emails that get rejected.
* It's on fedmsg and most apps are using fedora-messaging. We have a
gateway relaying from one to the other, but it doesn't handle new
messages or changes in messages at all well.
* We are generating a lot more messages than we used to. With more and
more packages, mass rebuilds, eln builds, main branch to epel9 merges
with hundreds of commits, etc, etc. The volume is just a lot higher.

kevin