Re: mold linker

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 01:29:00PM -0500, Ben Beasley wrote:
> In RPM packaging, of course, everything is built from scratch, usually with
> LTO, and a package that takes a minute to link probably takes an hour to
> build. While any work that can be saved in an RPM build is helpful, I think
> the gains from a fast linker are likely to be much less dramatic here.
>
> [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mold/blob/rawhide/f/mold.spec#_24

Note, until a few days ago mold didn't support linker plugins, so was
incompatible with GCC LTO.  There is some support in now but still a WIP.

Linking speed is just one of the factors in choosing a linker,
reliability (e.g. known races in gold which is now effectively unmaintained
are a problem), or what features it supports.
mold doesn't support linker scripts so it is out of question for many use
cases, for other use cases it might matter more how large binaries and with
what security features in it it creates, etc.
I think for building Fedora packages in koji those other factors are much
more important than a few seconds saved during the package build.

	Jakub