Re: "rescue" boot entry files are not updated on OS upgrades

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 3:24 PM Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am surprised that the rescue kernel would give an indefinite hang or
> even just a dracut prompt within a release.

The latter case is trivially reproducible on UEFI, with the failure
being that mounting /boot/efi comes *after* switchroot. After
switchroot the vfat module in the initramfs is not available, and the
rootfs lacks matching /usr/lib/modules, therefore it's also not
available. And thus mount fails and thus dracut shell.

A possible simple work around is having the installer add "nofail"
mount option to /boot/efi which raises the potential problem that it
fails to mount for $REASON, and thus silently isn't getting bootloader
updates. I guess that's better than always getting a dracut prompt?

Also more reliable would be if the rescue boot entry uses
systemd.whateverisolate=multiuser.target to make sure (a) consistency
no matter the existence of /usr/lib/modules (b) we don't get hung up
somehow loading the graphical environment possibly needing things in
/usr/lib/modules that aren't available.

--
Chris Murphy