Re: Question about Fedora Package Naming

Hello Neal. Thank you for reply! I will firstly ask to update the main package.

I think it's ideal if Fedora users can always use the latest packages and they
don't use inactive(EOL?) packages naturally.

I don't completely understand the Fedora infra, but I am wondering if a mass
rebuild can skip rebuilding packages that contain version number in their
package name or can file them as FTBFS bugs. If so, the package maintainers
will request rebuild if they really want the packages. I believe this change is
unrealistic but I think this may stop Fedora users using EOL-version package
like php-guzzlehttp-guzlle.

Regrads,
Hirotaka

On Saturday, February 19, 2022, 10:13:20 PM GMT+9, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 7:59 AM Hirotaka Wakabayashi via devel

<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, I have a question about Fedora Package Naming.
>
> php-guzzlehttp-guzzle's version is 5.3.4, which is already EOL version by upstream. The latest version is 7.4.1.
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/php-guzzlehttp-guzzle
> https://github.com/guzzle/guzzle#version-guidance
>
> In this situation, if I want to package the 7.4.1. version, should the package name be php-guzzlehttp-guzzle7? Or should I submit a patch to change the php-guzzlehttp-guzzle version? I think php-guzzlehttp-guzzle should be upgraded because EOL products potentially contain security issues, but most users probably doesn't know the package is EOL or not when they install it.

The preference is to update the main package to the latest version,
and in the event the older one is needed, branch that as a
compatibility package using the compatibility package guidelines.