Re: Help needed with new RStudio subcomponent: quarto

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 at 14:39, Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:36 PM Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The new version of RStudio [1] now bundles quarto [2], a publishing
> > system written in JavaScript and TypeScript that in turn bundles Deno
> > [3] (runtime written in Rust) and its standard library (this is not
> > binary, but it's tagged independently of Deno at the moment),
> > deno_dom, and Dart Sass (other binary dependencies are pandoc and
> > esbuild, but they are part of Fedora already).
> >
> > I'm a bit overwhelmed by this. Does anyone see any sane way forward
> > here? Anyone willing to help? Some thoughts:
> >
> > - We could package Deno, but how stable it is, and thus how important
> > the tie to a specific version might be. Also, there's the question
> > about how to handle its standard library and third-party modules.
> > Maybe we could follow the same strategy as with nodejs, allowing
> > bundling specific versions.
>
> I have tried packaging deno as RPMs. It is possible, but quite a big task.

I was afraid this was the case. And then there is support only for
x86_64 and aarch64, as you mentioned.

> The packages are now a bit out-of-date because I didn't have time to
> update them lately,
> but here's the work-in-progress .spec files for everything needed by deno:
> https://github.com/ironthree/deno-rpms
> and here's the work-in-progress RPM packages:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/decathorpe/deno/monitor/
>
> The "deno" binary does work, but the packages would need working with
> upstream to fix some (mostly licensing) issues before they could be
> submitted as Fedora packages.
> (Note that building deno with vendored Rust dependencies would not
> really help, since those aforementioned issues would also need to be
> resolved in that case.)

What kind of issues? Aren't they MIT licensed?

And when you talk about "packages" in this context, what does it mean?
Are they parts of the main repo? Or third-party modules? I assume it's
not what they call the "standard library", because that's JavaScript
and TypeScript.

> > - Dart Saas seems quite complicated, because it obviously requires the
> > Dart SDK [5]. Could Dart Saas be replaced by Ruby Saas?
>
> I think the Ruby SASS gem is deprecated, I'd rather replace it with
> sassc. It is the recommended replacement, alongside the Dart library -
> but given that we don't have dart in Fedora, and we already have
> libsass / sassc, I'd try to use that instead.

Ok, I see. I would need to check whether this can be a drop-in replacement.

Well, the deno part is quite a showstopper right now. I think we're
stuck with the previous version of RStudio for now. :(

--
Iñaki Úcar