Re: F37 Change: Enable read only /sysroot for Fedora Silverblue & Kinoite (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 12:12 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Silverblue_Kinoite_readonly_sysroot
>
> == Summary ==
>
> This change is about enabling an opt-in ostree feature that re-mounts
> `/sysroot` as read only to avoid accidental changes.
>
> Users and administrators are not expected to directly interact with
> the content available there and should instead use the interface
> offered by rpm-ostree, GNOME Software or (soon) Plasma Discover to
> manage their system.

I use Silverblue. How does this affect my ability to modify /etc in the
opt-in scenario? Does rpm-ostree offer a method to modify /etc in that
case? What if I want a mutable /var, like I currently have, does this
change under this proposal? What is the value of this for the normal
Fedora Linux user?

> == Owner ==
>
> * Name: [[User:Siosm| Timothée Ravier]], [[User:Tpopela| Tomáš
> Popela]], [[User:jkonecny| Jiří Konečný]]
> * Email: siosm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tpopela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx
> * FESCo shepherd: [[User:Ngompa| Neal Gompa]]
> ngompa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> On rpm-ostree based systems, the real root (the root directory of the
> root partition on the disk) is mounted under the `/sysroot` path. By
> default it contains the state of the system (the content of `var` and
> `etc`) as well as the system versions themselves (each versioned copy
> of `/usr`) in the ostree repository (`/ostree/repo`).
>
> This change is about enabling an opt-in ostree feature that re-mounts
> `/sysroot` as read only to avoid accidental changes.
>
> Users and administrators are not expected to directly interact with
> the content available there and should instead use the interface
> offered by rpm-ostree, GNOME Software or (soon) Plasma Discover to
> manage their system.
>
> Example of issue:
> https://github.com/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/232
>
> This change replicates for Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite what has been
> done in Fedora CoreOS in a previous release.
>
> == Feedback ==
>
> None so far.
>

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>
> This will make Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite more robust to accidental
> damage from users.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> ** Work on the changes requires for new installations (potentially
> Anaconda configuration changes) and support for in place updates for
> existing installations (requires a two step process).
> * Other developers:
> ** Potential Anaconda changes required.
> * Release engineering: N/A
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Alignment with Objectives: N/A
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> We will create a systemd unit that perform the updates in place for
> existing systems. This will require a two step process (changing the
> existing kernel arguments, and then enabling the ostree feature).
> Once
> the feature is enabled, user won't be able to rollback to previous
> deployments where the kernel argument is not set. We will have to
> clearly document that in the documentation for easier
> troubleshooting.

See, that's an unwelcome thing IMO.

> == How To Test ==
>
> Only try the following if you are confortable debugging an un-
> bootable
> system and have made backups!
>
> `$ sudo rpm-ostree kargs --append-if-missing=rw`
>
> `$ sudo ostree config --repo=/sysroot/ostree/repo set
> "sysroot.readonly" "true"`
>
> `$ sudo systemctl reboot`
>
> Note that you can not "rollback" to the previous deployment to undo
> this change. You will have to boot into a Live ISO and edit the
> config
> file in the ostree repo to remove this config option.
>
> == User Experience ==
>
> There should be no visible change in user experience.

I don't know. I think not being able to boot into my previous
deployments a visible change to my user experience.

> == Dependencies ==
>
> Requires changes in Anaconda (maybe just config?) to set default
> kargs
> and property on ostree repo for new installations.
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
>
> Revert the change before the release.
>
> == Documentation ==
>
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)