Re: Unannounced soname bump: libjasper.so.4 -> libjasper.so.6

On 2/11/22 21:45, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Miro Hrončok wrote:
>> It was actually announced:
>>

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/FV53ADNJB5STFN3YAEEXEVHMIA6DMXCN/
>>
>> But for reasons I don't understand, it was pushed to rawhide without using
>> a side tag and without doing rebuilds :(
>>
>> I agree that untagging this is the best option now, it breaks hundreds of
>> packages both on runtime and buildtime.
>
> As a comaintainer of at least 2 of the affected packages (kdelibs3 and
> kdelibs 4), I must say I do not really understand why this is such a big
> deal. 18 packages would have needed to be rebuilt in Rawhide. "Hundreds of
> packages" is just with transitive dependencies that do not all need to be
> rebuilt. The untagging just makes us lose time because we can not rebuild
> the packages directly in Rawhide now.
>
> The fact that we got automatically filed FTI bugs within hours is also
> absurd. It would be easiest to just have a provenpackager rebuild the
> packages and not bother the maintainers at all (nor untag the package).
> Filing a bug makes sense only if an FTI persists for more than a week at the
> very least. Transient breakage in Rawhide is perfectly normal.
>
> We have always worked that way in Rawhide: if a soname got bumped, just
> rebuild the reverse dependencies and move on. It worked without any issues.
> So I do not see why this is suddenly no longer allowed.

Hi,
Let me chime in as a maintainer of "just a transitive dependency" that
was affected by the change. I've been working on Fedora for around a
year now and can't tell anything about the old consensus but I want to
share my thoughts on the current experience.

I've been preparing a bigger update of two widely-used Python libraries
- Pygments and Sphinx - for the last three weeks. As thousands of
packages depend on them, I did my best to establish potential impact
(Copr FTW!), worked to resolve the spotted issues and finally it was
good to go. But Rawhide was broken for my builds and I only could wait
for it to be resolved. Things happen and I certainly don't want to blame
anyone. I just think we could do better and not settle with this state
as a normal one.

For each such update I prepare there are dozens of broken for unrelated
reasons packages - it's already shadowing the real impact of my change
on the others and in an ideal world I'd prefer to solve it all *before*
the change I introduce lands in Rawhide. When even my tested package
fails to build, it sums up to some nontrivial time. Every effort to make
Rawhide a bit more stable for maintainers of those "middle-impact"
packages will be welcome.

Cheers,
Karolina