Re: [Bugzilla-announce-list] Action Required: Bugzilla - API Authentication changes

On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 17:44 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> I've not seen this kind of auth dance implemented in any software
> other than TV streaming apps, and not bugzilla and not any other
> bug tracker I've come across. So it is not a practical solution
> today, more of a thought experiment on how API tokens could
> possibly be made less awful to acquire for something like Anaconda
> or Abrt.

Firefox does something similar for signing new instances of Firefox
into your account for syncing. I've also seen it on a couple other
things but can't quite put my finger on what at the moment.

The other way we handle something like this is for FAS authentication;
if you try and use e.g. the Bodhi CLI client without being logged in,
it will print a browser URL and try to open a browser at that URL
automatically, you log in through the browser and a key/token is made
available to the app to store for future non-interactive logins.

But really, the problem here is not so much "let's come up with an
elegant design" as "um it seems like things are going to break
catastrophically in 19 days, we need to do something really quite
urgently to make that not happen".
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA