Re: F36 Change: Wayland by Default for SDDM (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 14:30, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefaultForSDDM
>
> = Wayland by Default for SDDM =
>
> == Summary ==
> Change the default display server mode for SDDM to use a Wayland-based
> greeter rather than an X11-based one.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:Ngompa|Neal Gompa]], [[User:Rdieter|Rex Dieter]],
> [[User:Jgrulich|Jan Grulich]]
> * Email: ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx, rdieter@xxxxxxxxx, jgrulich@xxxxxxxxxx
> * Product: KDE Spin, Kinoite
> * Responsible WG: KDE SIG
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> With [https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1393 the work done upstream in
> SDDM to support using a Wayland based greeter] and
> [[Changes/ReplaceFbdevDrivers|the introduction of SimpleDRM to fix the
> broken fallback when platform drivers are unavailable]], it is now
> possible for the Fedora KDE variants (the regular spin and Kinoite) to
> move to Wayland for the login manager, which effectively completes the
> switch to Wayland for these variants.
>

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> As originally detailed in [[Changes/WaylandByDefaultForPlasma|the
> Change to switch Plasma to Wayland by default]], Fedora is a leader in
> advancing the adoption of the Wayland protocol as part of the overall
> strategy to improve the Linux graphical software stack. We have been
> successful in helping drive Wayland forward in the Plasma Desktop, and
> we intend to do the same for SDDM.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> ** Upgrade {{package|sddm}} to the latest snapshot and introduce
> mutually exclusive <code>sddm-wayland-generic</code> and
> <code>sddm-x11</code> greeter configuration packages.
> ** Modify {{package|plasma-workspace}} to switch SDDM to Wayland
> *** Enable installation of the SDDM Wayland configuration snippet and
> ship as <code>sddm-wayland-plasma</code> that is mutually exclusive
> with the other sddm greeter configuration packages. This package will
> supplement {{package|sddm}} and <code>plasma-workspace-wayland</code>
> to be automatically installed together.
> ** Modify <code>@kde-desktop</code> comps group for Fedora Linux 36 to
> include <code>sddm-wayland-plasma</code> for the media.
>

> * Other developers: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10536 #10536]
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Alignment with Objectives: N/A
>

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> On upgrade to Fedora Linux 36, SDDM will be transparently switched
> from the X11 greeter to the Wayland one leveraging kwin. In order to
> override this, the user can do one of the following:
> * Drop in a configuration file in <code>/etc/sddm.conf.d</code> to set
> the display server back to X11
> * Swap back to X11 with the configuration package: <code>dnf swap
> sddm-wayland-plasma sddm-x11</code>
>

> == How To Test ==
> [...]

Last time I tried, I couldn't use Synergy and Wayland together, so I
use X11 sessions with KDE still. Will this change only affect the
pre-login greeter screen, or does it also affect the lock screen when
a running X11 session is locked (either explicitly or after the
timeout)? Currently I can still use the mouse and keyboard from a
different machine to unlock that lock screen. If it starts using
Wayland that won't work. It might be worth mentioning that for the
user experience for other Synergy users.