font copies in sphinx generated documentation

Hi!

I maintain bind package, which generates html documentation using sphinx
and sphinx_rtd_theme. I admit this format is quite popular. Once I have
noticed that bind-doc package is quite big. When looking why, I have
found not a small number of static copies were generated by
documentation process.

If I remember correctly, fonts are allowed to be shipped only by font
packages. Not only sphinx packages ships static copies of javascript
underscore and jquery, but it seems every such package includes also set
of fonts contained in its documentation.

It leads to interesting situation on RHEL9. It ships fonts in supported
packages, which are not shipped in supported repositories.

Example:

dnf repoquery --disablerepo=rhel-CRB --whatprovides
'*/fontawesome-webfont.svg'

I expect many users would like to serve those packages via web servers
to local networks. Is there way to share static contents in multiple
documentation packages and not break at least most common way to share
/usr/share/doc via web server?

Note: I have attempted to link static contents to
python3-sphinx_rtd_theme. I symlinked directories js and css in _static
dir. I do NOT recommend anyone to follow my way. This way, I cannot
return real directories with real content into the place. Consider that
a blind way not worth following.

Is there a good way to reduce duplicated documentation content, when
keeping it reasonably working? Are there helpers for that? It seems even
bodhi-server contains quite big stash of fonts files for example. Many
important packages has them bundled. kernel-doc, rust-doc. Do we want that?

I have found not a single word about it in font exceptions [1]. Is that
okay? It seems guidelines contradicts common practice on this.

Regards,
Petr

1.
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/FontsPolicy/#_exceptions