Re: Package notes feature causing build paths to be embedded

On Thu, 2022-02-03 at 15:15 +0100, Petr Pisar wrote:
> V Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 08:56:20AM -0500, Simo Sorce napsal(a):
> > On Thu, 2022-02-03 at 10:09 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Richard W. M. Jones:

> > > The package notes are in an allocatable section, to be mapped at run
> > > time, so that they end up in core files.  As far as I know, it's not
> > > reliably possible to add such data to an ELF file after the final
> > > (non-relocatable) link.
> > >
> > > We would have to pre-allocate some fixed space and fill it in later.
> > >
> > > Cleaner approaches are possible if we teach the core dumper how to copy
> > > select data from non-allocated sections.  I think we would then need
> > > just a placeholder program header.
> >
> > While it is nice to discuss future options, do we have a way to fix
> > FTBFS's in rawhide _now_ ?
> >
> You can disable embedding the package notes by undefining _package_note_file
> macro in the package which builds in the linker flags. See
> <https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl/c/4751b01e52fad1ef9c3012675791d979436ff8fe.patch>
> for an example. Kudos to Jitka.

No I could not, because I still got the dependent krb5 package to bring
in another unavailable linker script.

FTR we resolved this by rebuilding krb5-libs *without* notes, and then
I could rebuild python-gssapi also without notes.

However I resent a bit that I had to chase down this problem myself,
days after it had already been exposed, and basically manually disable
this feature for a large part of Fedora (anything that links to krb5
now is missing these notes, rights?) only relying on hearsay and some
brave soul giving tips.

It is also now littering spec files with disablement of this feature,
which will make it harder to re-introduce it once these problems are
solved (or will cause abandonment of the feature, with fragments of
unused spec files all over the place).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce