OpenVPN 2.x with kernel acceleration

Hi,

An OpenVPN colleague of me, Antonio Quartulli (on Cc), has been working
on a kernel acceleration module for OpenVPN for quite some time.  We
call this OpenVPN Data Channel Offload (DCO).  This moves the tunnelled
network traffic to a new kernel module (ovpn-dco) and keep only the
control channel (authentication, VPN IP configuration, etc) in
user-space.  This is gives a noticeable improved performance.

We have had that support available in the OpenVPN 3 Linux for quite some
time.  But that is currently only a client-mode only implementation.  So
the real benefit of DCO has been limited when connecting to OpenVPN 2.x
servers.

In parallel with that, we have now reached a point where we also have
code ready for OpenVPN 2.x which can make use of DCO - also for the
server side.  This code is currently going through review in among the
developers in the OpenVPN community.

But!  We have now a dedicated Fedora Copr repository available for those
willin
g to test this out.

  # yum copr enable dsommers/openvpn-dco
  # yum copr enable dsommers/openvpn3
  # yum install openvpn kmod-ovpn-dco

The ovpn-dco kernel module is tried first, and if that succeeds OpenVPN
2.x will now use that instead of tun.ko.  There is a new --disable-dco
option which will force not using DCO, which is useful when testing
performance.

One performance tip ... Ensure your tun-mtu is 1420 or slightly lower,
this is to avoid packet fragmentation which will reduce ability for
ovpn-dco to work optimally.  We are looking into ways to make the MTU
settings better by default, but we're not there yet.  This is the only
configuration change which might be needed.

Even though, I've mentioned OpenVPN 2.x server mode explicitly here ...
It will also work with OpenVPN 2.x in client mode too.  If you also try
the OpenVPN 3 Linux to compare the performance, you should not really
notice much difference - as it's the same kernel module doing th
e heavy
lifting.

If you test this out, feel free to reach out on our OpenVPN developers
mailing list [0], on IRC [0] or to Antonio (Cc) who is overseeing the
DCO development.

[0]
<https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/GettingHelp#Developersupport>

--